Saturday, October 15, 2011

Oct. 15th - Biking, Waterfalls, and *#@$ing Prius Lights.

Today began wonderfully on the shore of Lake Superior. The sun was finally pushing its way through the clouds after being absent for the last couple of days. The rain gave way over night and was replaced by a chilly 40 degrees and a biting wind. So I suited up and went on a bike ride from Cutface Creek to Grand Marais and up a bit on the Gunflint Trail fighting the wind and the ascent. But in the end it was all worth it - my cold-weather gear worked splendidly, my legs still felt good, I got to see a waterfall, and was able to ride some dirt/gravel as well.
And then I had to change the headlight bulb in the Prius. Which no matter how many times you watch the Youtube video's it can't prepare you for the hell it really is. So after an hour or so of digging around in the hood of the car finagling a light around while the wind whipped around me I finally got the gall damned thing in there. (There will be a forthcoming post later when I feel the need to reminisce)
After that, the day once again became nice as Jena and I were able to walk around town and check out a couple of the local businesses. We saw a nice, tiny bike shop, a cool little book store, a stuffy outdoors store and an awesome outdoors store before returning to our house to make lunch. After lunch we headed up to the Municipal Pool to get in some whirlpool, sauna, pool, and shower time before heading towards the border.