Wednesday, January 4, 2012

We have been keeping busy here at Hacienda Zuleta with all the fun activities they have to offer and all the energy that Caye's brothers have. Yesterday morning Morgan and I went horseback riding through the valley to see the condors again with some of the tourists here. Just so happened that two of them were from Wisconsin which quickly sparked conversation and friendships. On our way back to the hacienda we had some excitement. While galloping my horse decided it wanted to kick the other horses around it which meant that for about thirty seconds I was getting bucked off and straddling the horse from the side questioning whether it would be best to just let go and risk getting kicked or to pull myself back up and get back on in the saddle. Choosing the latter, I pulled myself up and managed to calm the horse, and myself, down. It was quite a scary moment, but after a few moments everything was back to normal.

Today, while Caye and Jackson were busy with work, Morgan and I were able to go hiking up one of the smaller mountains with beautiful views the entire way. Dominga, one of the dogs here, was our guide.
In between the activities the Hacienda offers we have been keeping busy socializing and playing fútbol with Antonio and Manuel, who are both way too cute for their own good. Jackson and I were also able to try Cuy(Guinea Pig-a popular meal here) today which was actually pretty tasty(sorry vegetarians and Guinea Pig lovers).

Tomorrow we will be meeting Caye's cousin and a few other Americans to hike three mountains south of Quito. Super excited for this! We'll be back in touch some time around the 10th or 11th. Hasta luego!