Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Central Waters Exodus.

Right now I'm sitting at the kitchen table I grew up eating at sampling the Central Waters Exodus. The Exodus is an oak barrel-aged sour beer. I know, I know what you are thinking. Sour beer? Really? That sounds gross? If that was what you were thinking then I'm clairvoyant-esque and you may have some of the same notions about sour beers as the general populous. If on the other hand you thought about how intriguing the different notes of sour beers can be and how they can nip and jab at your taste buds like an Olympic fencer then you think like me. So to get started. From the bottle the Exodus pours a cloudy amber with a pink hue with barely any head on it, although I hear that from the tap it pours with a hardy white head. The beer, as mentioned before, is aged in oak barrels so there is a subtle yet present hint of bourbon which floats behind the soured, fermented, and almost wine like flavor which tricks the taste-buds not quite giving away all that is there. The aroma is more of a wine or mead then that of a beer which is nice when you are nose deep in a glass and the aroma doesn't offset the taste like some sour beers can. Overall this is a very clean and tasty sour beer which is easy to drink yet still gives your tastebuds and cheeks a work-out. I enjoy drinking sour beers in the front of my mouth, taking small sips with pursed lips so that only the tip of the tongue and lips get the flavor at first before it migrates along the cheeks to the back of the mouth. I feel like this allows you to really take all the flavor in and gives you that pursed-lip sour feeling which is what makes drinking these beers really fun.