Monday, January 30, 2012

Artist: Maurice Montero

A while back when we were in Quito Caye´s cousin, Claudia, took us to see the studio of an artist named Maurice Montero who creates amazing kinetic sculptures. Montero is a South American transplant originally from France who settled in Ecuador because (as seems to be the norm with a bunch of folks we´ve met) he fell in love with a wonderful woman and couldn´t be torn away. Back to the art. Because I hold artists who work primarily with their hands and also those who work in intricate, intimate detail (Maurice fits into both these) in such high standards it was a real treat for me going to his studio. Even though I had only seen brief examples of his work when I was undergoing my BFA program. It was wonderful that he was able to take some time out of his day and show us new works, old works, and ones in between along with the details of his amazing studio. I´ll let the photos talk now but if you want to read more about him you can check out the book (if you can find it), Arte Mecanico.